Last summer, I took some of the edgers that were stacked on the side of the house and blocked off a little garden area. I decided to plant sunflowers. I started the seeds in little plastic pots on the lanai, alternately overwatering and ignoring them. The survivors made it into the flower bed.
They grew pretty quickly, benefitting from the fact that Steve kept reminding me to water the tomato plants.
It soon became evident, however, that the extreme rockiness of the soil did not allow them to get a good root system going. Even though Steve tried staking and tying them to help them stand upright, they never got strong enough stems to support or nourish themselves. Not one of the flower heads set seeds.